For some reason, there appears to be some confusion about whether you can use a debit card on Steam or not. I’ve seen some posts on Reddit asking “how to use debit card on Steam“, with some of the comments mentioning that certain banks don’t allow online purchases with some cards (this is actually true for some BPI debit cards). Hence, using that type of debit card on Steam may not be useful.
Can You Use Debit Card on Steam?
The short answer is yes. Most debit cards actually work pretty well for Steam purchases. Personally I have what I call my own “Steam debit card” which is basically a bank card that I only use for Steam purchases. If you don’t have a credit card, Steam Gift Card, and your Steam wallet or Paypal is empty, the debit card that goes with your bank account should be enough to make a purchase. You just have to make sure that you have enough money in your account to fund your online transactions.
Note though that some banks don’t allow online purchases for certain debit cards, so it’s best to check the type of debit card that you have first.
How to Use Debit Card on Steam
As long as you know that your debit card allows online purchases, you can follow this step-by-step guide of how to use debit card on Steam.
1. Search for the game that you wish to purchase on Steam. In my case, I was looking for “Destiny 2“.
2. Depending on the game that you’re buying, it may have several purchase options. Each option already indicates the actual cost with Value Added Tax (VAT). In my case, the costs are in Philippine Peso.
3. After choosing your preferred purchase option, click the “Add to Cart” button.
4. From here, Steam will ask you if you wish to purchase the game for yourself, or as a gift for someone else. In my case, I’m buying it for myself.
5. It will then lead you to a page where you can choose from a variety of payment options. Here are the Steam payment methods available in the Philippines:
Steam Payment Methods in the Philippines:
6. Check your debit card and see if it’s Visa or Mastercard. Based on that, choose the correct payment option.
7. Input your debit card details on the designated fields. You also have the choice to save the payment information so that it will be easier for you to check out next time.
7. After reviewing the summary, you can now proceed to check out. You will receive a notification if the purchase is successful. The receipt will then be sent to your email.
Is it Safe to Use Debit Card on Steam?
Generally speaking, it is safe to use your debit card on Steam. The payment methods currently available are secure. All the payment information that you input are also secured by SSL (Secure Socket Layer) technology.
As long as you don’t reveal your card details to anyone, your information would remain secure, and you will continually enjoy safe debit card transactions on Steam.
How do I Use Mastercard on Steam?
Using your Mastercard on Steam would essentially follow the same process that we shared above.
Always remember though that weather you’re using a Visa or Mastercard, if you’re using a debit card, there should be available money in the account for any purchase to push through.