Following its announcement last week, the new Google News app has finally hit the Play Store, offering a smart solution for consuming content on the reg. The new app is jacked with features that should leave the lot of us news readers satisfied, but if you’re thinking of making the switch from your feed-reader of choice (for me, that’s Feedly), don’t do it yet.
The app is missing some features like subscribing to blogs/websites outside of Google’s own curated list. That said, it looks like a very promising app, and we’re excited to see where Google takes it.
Here’s a quick lowdown on what the app can do.
- Your briefing – It can be nearly impossible to keep up with every story you care about. With your briefing, easily stay in the know about what’s important and relevant to you. Your briefing updates throughout the day bringing you the top five stories you need to know, including local, national, and world content.
- Full coverage – Understand the full context on any story with just a tap. Google News gives you everything online about a story and organizes it for you – highlighting different perspectives, a timeline of key events, FAQs, important people, and more.
- Credible sources – Find quality content from a diverse set of credible publishers and discover sources you haven’t heard of before.
- Stories, for you – Keep up with what’s happening on the topics you care about, whether that’s sports, politics, business, tech, or even the weather.
- Subscribe with Google – We believe quality journalism is worth paying for. That’s why, with a single tap, you can easily subscribe to the newspapers and magazines you love.